How is the Philippine Stock Market doing?

I have been out of the country and was wondering how the Philippine stock market is doing.  The first time I talked to a broker was around seven years ago.  I had just finished college and wanted to try buying stocks.  It was supposedly a booming market.  Daily trades were at a remarkable Php4-ish (or was it 5) mark.  I didn't know anything about it back then.  

So I just had a look at my online account today and found the following information for the most recent trading day:

Total Trade 31,744

Total Value 13,124,067,307.50

Total Volume1,372,853,880

Php13billion! ($98M) That's a huge jump in seven years!  That'll make for a great sales pitch for brokers.  But really, what is the implication of the trade value jumping three times in value in seven years.  Does that mean that if I throw money into the market, I could potentially triple my money?  How I wish it was that simple.  The PSEi (index) was at around 3,000 when I started buying stocks.  It dipped significantly between now and then.  Currently, it's about 6,000.  If I tracked the index, I could have doubled my money. That's a nice simple, common sense way to invest, right?  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

abundant information: globalization's irony

cheers to the rally

signs of hope