coming change in administration is unlikely

Political news has overtaken everything else in Philippine media over the past weeks. When I pick up a newspaper, its politics. I flip the tv news on, its politics. I log on to igoogle, its still politics.

Boring but relevant
After weeks of watching news on the ZTE NBN fiasco, I'm getting quite bored of it. I'm sure many others are too. But that's not to say that I'm about to stop following the news. I'll stay informed because I consider knowing the political climate to be hand in hand with sound fundamental analysis.

No people power this time
The question on my mind is whether we're going to see something like what happened to former President Joseph Estrada happen to President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo. I'm inclined to say no, for the following reasons.

1. She's playing her cards well. When they rally, she rallies too. While she's at it, she throws lovely golden carrots to the people. Brilliant. (i.e. Gloria @ Cavite last monday)
2. We just had a great year for our economy. Many people are happily enjoying the spoils of 2007 - large profits, large bonuses and many raises. Homes have just been filled with plasma tvs, new cars, ninentdo wiis and what not. People are much too happy to bother taking to the streets.

I know that the public largely believes her to be guilty of Lozada's accusations, but don't think that will be enough to get her out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

abundant information: globalization's irony

cheers to the rally

signs of hope